Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sometimes I applaud a well placed error


Sometimes for fun I like to listen to the Sean Hannity show. Mostly because he is an ignoramus, sycophant and well like Toby from the office said, “Michael's like a movie on a plane. You know it's not great but it's something to watch. And then when it's over, you're like, how much time is left on this flight. You know, now what?” That’s how I feel about Sean Hannity. I guess I just bring it up because that clown is always complaining about, “The Liberal Press.” Creating one of the greatest SNAFU’s of Irony since well all of those stupid tea partys that keep coming up protesting wasteful spending, because he’s the embodiment of what I consider non-partisan. I realize that there does exist slanted media… I believe it is called Fox News, but other than that I hold true to a theory that was presented to me in a Chuck Klosterman book. There doesn't exist a slanted media because if you have ever worked for a real news outlet you barely have any time to even put out the news period let alone slant it towords your own plitical agenda.

Case in point is what happened at Brigham Young University the other day. A typo heard around the world you might say. I honestly feel a little bad for the poor undergrad who was

unfortunate enough to make this mistake. Now on the video there is a student who claimed that he felt like it was too obvious of a typo for it to be a typo and claimed that it must have been done on purpose. Who does this guy think he is? I’m sure that this poor person spent the good part of the day majorly bummed out. But feelings apart from the issue the fact still remains that the paper went through two more editors before it was released for printing. I know that the Utah Statesman (USU's Student Paper) has its fair share of typos and AP errors in it but luckily *knock on wood* none of their errors have caused so much controversy as this one did at BYU. Although most people just think it is funny as do I, but understandably The Daily Universe didn’t think it was too funny as they went through the pain of pulling all 18,500 published copies of its printed papers from newsstands around the campus. As well as releasing a lengthy story as to what happened and a full apology.
All I can say is this is NOT the semester to be taking a news writing class at BYU. I shudder to think what their final is going to look like. On the other hand I already took a news writing class at USU and Jay Wamsley my professor always made us do our stories in word pad. The reason why, he didn’t want us to use the spell checker on Word. You are wise beyond your years Jay. If only BYU had a Jay Wamsley of their own they’d never have found themselves in this problem.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, by your logic you should watch Keith Olbermann. Then ask yourself what is worse, an arrogant and overzealous conservative, or an arrogant and overzealous liberal?

    If you want my opinion, I could shoot them both and not blink an eye.

    ReplyDelete